Net Zero by SCAPE
The housing retrofit challenge
Approximately 24m homes across the UK need to be retrofitted with carbon saving technologies to meet the net zero ambitions.
To significantly reduce the carbon emissions from your existing housing stock, retrofitting properties can improve energy efficiency.
Retrofit for the future
In their national housing strategy, Housing to 2040, The Scottish Government commits to low-carbon, affordable homes which support people's needs.
The Energy Efficiency Standard for Social Housing (EESSH) aims
to improve the energy efficiency of social housing in Scotland, by reducing energy consumption, fuel poverty and emissions.
We know the environment has a huge impact on our mental and physical health and there is a direct link between the carbon efficiency of a home and human wellbeing .
Together, we can solve the housing retrofit challenge and create homes that are energy-efficient, well ventilated, free of damp and easy to temperature control.
Defining the scope
The housing retrofit process is defined by PAS 2035 (2019): Retrofitting Dwellings for Improved Energy Efficiency.
The process focuses on a whole house approach, applying the principle of “fabric first”, as well as making sure the building is well insulated and ventilated.
After this, electrical heating solutions and renewable energy can be considered. A range of technologies can be retrofitted to help reduce carbon emissions.
We can support you through inception, the development of your business case and help you to access the right funding.
We then introduce our unique Lifecycle delivery approach, designed to help you realise the potential of your retrofit projects.
- High performance internal / External Insulation
- Draught proofing, insulation, window and door upgrades
- Positive Input Ventilation (PIV)
- Air source heat pumps, solar, smart heating and lighting
- Water Recovery
Planning for success
The right team with the right skills can deliver to the required standard for PAS 2035 and 2030.
We can support you to develop a procurement strategy that engages your project team as early as possible.
Our Consultancy framework can support your whole dwelling assessment, and assist in your funding applications for public sector grant and loan funding beyond the traditional routes.
We can also provide support for your business case using the contractor-led feasibility process within our Construction framework.
- Upfront advice on the right procurement strategy for your retrofit project
- Instant access to professional resources through our consultancy frameworks
- Complete your retrofit assessment, develop a business case and source funding
- Access should-cost pricing, manage risks of overspend and delayed delivery by accessing free early contractor input through our construction frameworks
You can access a turnkey design and build solution for retrofit delivery through the innovative Lifecycle call off approach, within our Construction frameworks.
This addresses the risk of a performance gap between design and delivery, by making your energy performance targets contractual.
Our Lifecycle approach can provide you with a partner for post-occupancy evaluation and monitoring for up to five years and this also helps you to spread the cost of improvements.
- Contractor-led design of energy efficiency measures, with energy performance targets set during preconstruction
- Low carbon construction for retrofit works with seasonal commissioning and testing
- Flexible post-construction service for up to five years covers performance measurement, verification, systems optimisation and servicing
- Energy efficiency savings delivered and return on investment proven